Superbowl Wines

Popped some wines for the Superbowl. Al were tasted blind to keep us honest.


  • 1999 Sportoletti Villa Fidelia Umbria IGT - Italy, Umbria, Umbria IGT
    My friend Mike likes Italian wines. The Superbowl was a good opportunity to break out something I thought he'd like. Continues to be a great wine. Nice and velvety red and dark fruit. Hint of tobacco and dried herbs. Again a little reminiscent of a very good Napa Cab with plenty of structure to support many more years of aging. Very solid wine, but it lacks just a little in the excitement factor department.

  • 2001 Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River
    This is still very youthful. When tasted straight out of the bottle, this was extremely backward and brooding. Wound so tight that a saline note was the most prominent characteristic of the wine. With time, the wine filled out though. Dark fruit with an impressive frame Wood is unnoticeable, and the fruit is dark and smokey with a little blueberry behind the more obvious blackberry and black currant flavors. It's not sweet or alcoholic or over the top. Has the restraint of a Bordeaux, but the fruit is decidedly not like any Bordeaux I've ever had. Great wine that speaks of its place.

  • 2001 Mitolo Shiraz G.A.M. - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    A wine that I thought would do well with Superbowl fare. And I was positively surprised by how well this showed. No heat on the finish, not blowsy one bit, not stewed tasting, and no blueberry milkshake...just a very solid Shiraz that showed tremendous restraint, further aging ability and some nice fruit, texture, and good acidity. Was definitely worth what I paid for it and I enjoyed drinking this a much or more than the other wines on Super Bowl night.

  • 2003 Flat Creek Estate Sangiovese Parker - USA, Texas, Texas Hill Country
    The shocker in the lineup for me. I guessed Sangiovese blind, but thought it was a California Sangiovese...this was not just drinkable, but very enjoyable. Very much in a similar style to Montevertine's Pian del Ciampolo. Best TX wine 've ever had by a landslide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment