1998 Alain Voge Cornas (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas)


When I first opened this, I thought the bottle was flawed. Very acidic right out of the bottle and seemed more advanced than I would have guessed at age ten. With air, the wine improved. It filled out, got darker, the fruit turned plusher, and the acid retreated. This is a truly interesting expression of Syrah in that it faintly reminds of CdP by virtue of garrigue and provencal herb notes. It does have the more classical dark fruit and pepper notes, though. After 3 days of being open, this just now beginning to show its best. Nose has opened up to show some licorice, roasted herbs, and beef blood. Nice and elegant on the palate. No thickness and the texture is more like Burgundy than CdP...silky. It is somewhat rustic in style though, and some might find this angular...I like it...what can I say. A great buy at $20 on auction, but it would be too much for the quality at the going retail of about $40-$50.

0 comments:

Post a Comment